We want to enable as many local voluntary and community sector organisations, including sports clubs, to join the Somerset West Lottery as a good cause.
Below are the criteria that will be used in deciding whether or not to allow an organisation qualifies to join, to ensure we meet the requirements of the Gambling Commission.
No Application Fee
There is no application fee to join.
Criteria for joining:
The Council has been granted a licence to run the lottery by the Gambling Commission and part of its licence obligations are to ensure that all good causes meet certain criteria.
Your good cause must:
- Provide local community activities or services within the West Somerset District and/or Taunton Deane Borough, which benefit local people and communities, visitors may also benefit from the services/facilities, but not to the exclusion of local residents
- Have a formal constitution or set of rules
- Have a bank account requiring at least 2 unrelated signatories
- Operate with no undue restrictions on membership
- Have an email address but not necessarily a web site
- A constituted group with a volunteer management committee with a minimum of three unrelated members that meets regularly (at least 3-4 times per year); or, a registered charity with a board of trustees. Or
- A registered Community Interest Company (including social enterprises) able to provide copies of your Community Interest Statement, details of the Asset Lock, your Memorandum and Articles of Association, together with a copy of your latest annual community interest report.
We will not permit applications that:
- Are incomplete
- Are from groups that promote a particular religious or political belief. NB: This will not preclude religious organisations applying for assistance to provide social or welfare work connected with their organisation or good causes operating from religious premises, which offer services to all the community in the area would be considered
- Are from organisations that do not do work within the boundaries of West Somerset District and/or Taunton Deane Borough
- Are from individuals
- Are from organisations which aim to distribute a profit
- Are from organisations with no established management committee/board of trustees (unless they are a CIC)
Please note the following:
- The Council reserves the right to reject any application.
- The Council will reserve its rights to not accept or cease to license any organisation with a minimum of 7 days’ notice for any reason, unless where fraudulent or illegal activity is suspected where cessation will be immediate.
The process for good causes terminating their participation has yet to be agreed as they will be able to leave the lottery, if they so wish.